Sister Abish Curtis

November 2012- May 2014

Monday, February 18, 2013

This is the way to travel


Kumusta!

Every week we do some sort of community service project. This week (on
Valentines Day) as a district we went to help some less active members
in our ward. They have been sick this past little while so we helped
them catch up on some chores around the house. In addition we picked
up trash from the pathway that leads to their house. There was so much
trash, and it has been there for so long. It was quite the project,
but I loved it. Some young neighborhood kids saw what we were
doing and they were excited to join us in cleaning things up.

There are just three sets of missionary companions in our district. Me
and Sister Calinisan, the other two Sister Missionaries serving in our
ward, and two Elders from the next ward over. The six of us rode in
one trike on the way over to our service project. Yep, that's right.
Six grown people, plus the driver all on one little trike. The four of
us Sisters squished in the side cart, and the two Elders sat behind
the driver on the motorcycle. On the way back one of the elders sat on
the roof of the side cart, we were all jealous. I love trikes, I think
I want one when we I come back to America. They are way more
efficient than cars, yet you can still fit your entire family in one.
I've seen them carry just as much as any pickup truck could. They are
the best. Usually I sit in the side cart, but a couple of times I've
sat behind the driver. How cool is it that I get to ride on the back
of a motorcycle as a missionary!!

But riding in a trike is not an everyday thing for me and my
companion. Usually we ride a Jeepnie to our areas. You can also fit a
crazy amount of people on those. It may look like there is no more
room, but somehow everyone just squishes together even more to make
room for someone. This last Sunday was Stake Conference so the Ward
had to go to Tarlac for church. Some of the members came together to
rent a Jeepnie to ride to Stake Conference. We fit almost 30 people in
the Jeepnie! It was a tight squeeze, we were like sardines, but it was
so fun! :)





One day this past week were trying to find the house of a recent
convert/less active. We had walked pretty far when suddenly my
companion stopped walking. We just stood for a minute not knowing what
to do next. But then we asked a man from a nearby house if he knew the
family we were looking for. Turns out he is neighbors with the family.
The family wasn't home, but this man was a formerly taught
investigator and he was willing for us to teach him again. He was
super receptive and he still had his Book of Mormon and everything. It
was an answer to our prayers! This man lives right next to the road
and we were just teaching him outside his door. But school just got
out so there were so many kids walking home. They all were so amazing
to see an American. There were probably about 30 of them gathered
around when we started the lesson. Me and my companion tried talking
to them, but they would only just stare. It was the funniest thing
ever.

Okay, enough crazy stories. I didn't just come to the Philippines so I
could have crazy stories to tell. I came to the Philippines to help
build the kingdom of God on earth. Everyday I testify to people that
Jesus is the Christ. I love the testimony that Christa sent to me,
because that is exactly the message that I share with everyone that
will listen. She said: "I would like to bear my testimony that I
truly believe in prophets. I know that God wouldn't stop talking to
us. Joseph Smith was a true prophet and did what the Lord commanded
him. I know that the Book of Mormon and Bible are some great words
from prophets of old, and if we follow what they say we can go back to
live with our Heavenly Father"

Missions aren't easy. That is because salvation is not easy. I am
joining with Christ is helping to save people. It wasn't easy for Him,
so why would it be easy for me. But as I do the work of God I receive
strength from Him. If I would try to do this on my own, I would
completely fail. But because I have God's help I cannot fail.

I love you all and memories of you strengthen me when things are hard.

Mahal ko kayo!!!!

Sister "Sardine" Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment