Sister Abish Curtis

November 2012- May 2014

Monday, January 20, 2014

Do you know the way to San Jose?

I was transferred!!!!  After almost 6 months in the wonderful area of Kalikid, I have transferred to my third area: San Jose Ward 1B.

My area:
My whole mission I have served in areas that are mostly out in the country (bukid). But now I am in the very center of a city. In my last area we only got to go to the grocery store once a month, but now we walk by the grocery store, mall and palanke almost everyday. 
The area is pretty small, we don't have to ride trikes or jeepneys because it is all within walking distance. 
All of the investigators here are children. Part members, but children all the same. We are hoping to find some more investigators. 


My ward:
We have an awesome ward. I have already eaten at the houses of 4 different members. We have regular dinner appointments, so I will definitely be putting on some pounds (or should I say kilos).
Our ward mission leader is the most experienced I have yet to work with, I am excited for that. 
I gave a talk on Sunday. Yep. 
I already love so many of them. I am excited to get to know all of them. 



My companion:
Sister Foukimoana is from Tonga and she is amazing!!! In our mission usually President Martino puts the Filipinos and foreigners together. But me and my companion are one of the few foreigner/foreigner companionships. I have been out for longer than her, so for the first time ever I know more Tagalog than my companion. That is a crazy thought. I'm realizing how much I have depended on my Filipina companions for things like cooking and language and stuff. It is funny that she is now depending on me for the things I used to depend on others for. But I love it, we are going to do great.
Sister Foukimoana is the best. She is so sweet and kind, but at the same time crazy and funny. We have so much fun together, and we got along right from the first day. Actually our first day together she was sick, and couldn't talk. So our communication was a mix between mouth reading and charades. We laughed so much about it all. It was a good icebreaker. 

My heart:
I love my new area. I love my new companion. I love everything.   But a huge part of my heart is still back in Kalikid. I miss it so much. I miss the people. I miss Sister de Guzman. I miss everything. I'm hoping the pain will eventually go away, but I'm grateful that my love for them never will. 

Other random things:
We don't have a laundry lady to come to our house to wash our clothes!!  Instead I will bring my clothes to a laundry shop down the street. But I will have to wash my garments myself... by hand. I am excited to learn how...
The past 6 months it has just been me and Sister de Guzman in our house. But here we live with another companionship of missionaries: Sister Esirom and Sister Merwal. They are great and life is never boring at our house. I love them already. 
It is so cold!! I don't know if it is just the season everywhere or just here in San Jose. It's not cold like I know it is in America right now, but it is cold for the Philippines. The temperature on my alarm reads 75 degrees, but it feels colder than that. Like I want to wear my light jacket. (I know, I know, it's not really that cold, but its the coldest I've been in a year) Remember how we don't have warm water to take our showers? Just tap temperature. Lately I've been warming up water so I can use it for my bucket shower, because otherwise it is just way too cold. 

I know that the Lord sent me here to the Philippines, and I know there is a specific reason I have been assigned here in San Jose. I'm going to do my best and work my hardest and not leave anything undone. 

Love,
Sister "San Jose" Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment