Sister Abish Curtis

November 2012- May 2014

Monday, April 29, 2013

It's Getting Hotter


When I first got here to the Philippines I asked a local what the weather and seasons are like here. He described it as follows: "Well there is the rainy season, and then there's the more rainy season. Then there is the hot season, and then there is the more hot season." When I first got here it was the middle of the hot season, and now we are moving into the more hot season. The thermostat on my alarm clock in my room usually reads 90 in the morning, and 98ish in the afternoon. As long as we have our electric fans blowing on us we do relatively okay.

 

Sometimes the power will go out here. Either scheduled or randomly. Here in the Philippines its called a 'brown out' (not a black-out). In America when there is no power, it is pretty close to the end of the world. Or at least pretty much everyone has to stop what they are doing because they are in someway affected by having no power. But here in the Philippines the people are generally unaffected. They are not very electronically dependent. It kinda nice. The hardest part is just at night when there is no light. We almost had to go home early one night because there was no light, but then the power came back on. Yeah!!!

There has been a couple short ones, but this last Friday it lasted from 7AM until 5PM. It doesn't actually effect our proselyting much, but Friday is when we have weekly planning. That means we spent an extra two hours in our apartment planning. We found ways to stay cool without our electric fans. And then afterwards me and Sister Calinisan had a mini water fight using little animal water squirters. It was great. Fortunately there has always been power in our apartment at night when are planning and getting ready for bed. But one night, just for fun I filled out our teaching records by candlelight. Picture included.


One of the greatest things about being a missionary is all the amazing people you get to work with. Pictured below are some of the amazing people I get teach to and learn from.
 
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the truly lead by God. I know it. I'm so humbled to me a missionary right now. I have a lot to learn and improve, but I know that since this is the work of the Almighty Creator, He will help me.

 
 
 
 

Thanks for reading.

 

Love,

 

Sister Abish "Brown Out" Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment