Sister Abish Curtis

November 2012- May 2014

Monday, August 19, 2013

Beautiful Philippine​s, Full of Adventures

This part of the Philippines is absolutely gorgeous! I got to go on some grand adventures this week.

We are trying to find a new apartment to rent, since president is planning on adding two more sisters to our area. Some members in our branch brought us to a beautiful house that I really hope gets approved. We had brought along our zone leaders as well so they could check the place out. Afterwards the members suggested we go out to eat lunch. Since it was just about lunch time we agreed. The Elders joined the members in their trike and me and my companion joined the other members in their vehicle (a motorcycle with a side cart, more suitable for hauling pigs then people. Sitting on some wooden boards we had quite the exciting ride, I'll try to get better pictures next time we ride. One of the pictures below is the five of us who were riding that day) They brought us to a restaurant at the top of a mountain. It was a beautiful view. While we were up there I got to hold one of the pet snakes they keep at the restaurant (see pictures below).


We had a service project this week as a district. What people do in America with a lawn mower, people do here by hand. And often time rather than just chopping the grass, people prefer for their long grass to just be pulled out at the root. So that is what we did.

Earlier today we had a zone activity where we hiked up to some falls (Every Monday we take a break from teaching all day, and sometimes get to do something fun like this). It was in one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. The mountains were as beautiful as the Utah mountains, but as green as Missouri. A river we passed reminded me of a river I once saw in Yellowstone National Park. The rice fields were majestic, and the weather was perfect. And all that is just what I saw on the way to our hike. The hike itself was magical. But we didn't actually make it up to the top. You see each time we crossed the river, it got higher and higher. After the 5th time crossing, the water was getting up to our waist. We are not allowed to swim as missionaries, so this was not good news. So we decided to end there, with hopes that we could come back at a drier time of the year. But we got lots of great pictures, and what we did see was totally worth it.



Now, I don't want you to think as missionary its all fun and games. Nope, it's fun and work. This week, every lesson that we taught to investigators was with a member present. This is the first time this has happened on my mission. It is all thanks to our wonderful branch missionaries Sister Rosa and Sister Erlinda. Both are the cutest old ladies. They are both in their sixties.
I want to tell you about Nanay Rosa. She is about to turn 67. She was baptized about 3 years ago, and she loves the gospel. And she loves missionary work. Her goal before she dies is to help 10 people become members of Christ's church through baptism. Some five of her referrals to the missionaries have been baptized. And she is not slowing down yet. I love the days she works with us. She is not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and boldly invites anyone she can to listen to the missionaries. She is amazing and I wish I was as good a missionary as she is.


Yesterday we were behind on our lessons, and we had more people to teach than me and Sister Sarto could handle on our own. So we got permission to go on splits. Sister Sarto and Nanay Erlinda taught five lessons. And me and Nanay Rosa taught five lessons. I loved it. I love our Nanays!


I love the gospel! I love being a missionary! I love the Philippines!

Sister Abish "Snack Master" Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment