Sister Abish Curtis

November 2012- May 2014

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Of Time, Language and Baptisms

Today is July 29, 2013. Do you know what happened July 29, 2012? I opened my mission call. I read the words "Sister Curtis you are called to serve in the Philippines Angeles mission." That was a happy day indeed.

Back then I knew very little about the Philippines. I knew even less about the Angeles Mission. But there is one thing I did know: The Lord had called me to be a missionary. 
It seems like that was just yesterday. Time goes by soooooooo fast. Speaking of time, this week I also celebrated my 6 months here in the Philippines. I can't even believe it. Although fast, the time has been very rich in experiences, memories  and miracles.
 
One of my first days here I was talking to one of the local missionaries about the language. She said, don't worry by six months you will be fluent. At the time I thought "6 months! I can't wait that long." I planned on being fluent by 2-3 months. 1 month if I worked hard.  
 
Well. Here I am at 6 months and far from being fluent. I understand around 50% of what people say. And I still struggle to express all the things that I want. I still am working on figuring out what I am doing wrong and trying to fix it. But I don't let it get me down, and I don't focus on my inadequacies. I focus on the work that the Lord has called me to do. I am still able to speak the language of the spirit, and with that language I am able to prepare people for baptism. Which leads to my next point...
Rudy got baptized!!!!!! He is a old man who has been coming to church with with his recent convert sister. He has been faithful in his church attendance, but not so faithful in living the word of wisdom. But we have been working with him and he was finally ready for baptism. It was a happy day.
Transfers is this next week. Who knows what will happen.
 
Love you all!!
 
Sister Abish "6 months" Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment