Sister Abish Curtis

November 2012- May 2014

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

I didn't forget what I'm thankful for, I just forgot Thanksgivi​ng

This last week was Thanksgiving daw. Thanksgiving is not a holiday they celebrate here in the Philippines, so I may or may not have spent the whole Thanksgiving day forgetting it was even Thanksgiving. That is kinda crazy because I've never had so much to be grateful for.

Today I will tell you story of Renato. This is how it goes:
Once upon a morning me and Sister de Guzman were walking through the streets in our neighborhood looking for new people to teach. We passed by a house where a man was outside on a chair reading a bible. I guess it took a second to register, because we had already passed him when me and my companion stopped, looked at each other, then turned around and approached the man who I will call Renato (because that's his name). 
He didn't have any other chairs so me and Sister de Guzman taught standing up. Actually maybe have our lessons to him have been taught standing up or squatting. 
He believes everything we teach him. Now when we go back we don't just see him reading the Bible, but also the Book of Mormon. When we extended the invitation to be baptized he said "Amen Sisters" (That means yes). He actually says "Amen" and "Praise the Lord" a lot during our lessons. 
You maybe wondering why in the lessons, me and Sister de Guzman are the ones standing while Renato is sitting. This is why: he can't stand, or walk. It's been this way for the last couple months. The doctors say it has something to do with diabetes. Because of that we haven't figured out a way to get him to church. (he really want to go). He is too embarrassed to be carried, even though we offered to find someone to help. Right now he is just doing his best to slowly build up his strength everyday. We are praying for a miracle for this faithful man. Sometimes me and Sister de Guzman daydream about the John Tanner story (if you don't know it, go look it up, especially the movie.) 

Do you remember Mike? Last night we taught him about the Word of Wisdom and Law of Chasity. I love teaching the love of Chasity to old ladies. I do not love teaching it to people of the opposite gender. But its only as awkward as you make it. He wasn't happy to hear that he can't add anymore tattoos.  For the Word of Wisdom, he already gave up drinking and smoking for his Mormon fiance. But coffee is still something that he is working on cutting down. To help him find an alternative to help wake him up, we got a group together this morning to play basketball. Win-win situation. 

Every day me and Sister de Guzman set goals for the day. Almost always one of our goals is "Expect Miracles" and then at the end of the day we talk about the miracles we have seen. Do I love it? Yes. Does God love us? YES!!!!

Love,
Sister "Miracle expecter" Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment