Sister Abish Curtis

November 2012- May 2014

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Planting Seeds and lots of pictures


For the most part, farming here is very different from the farming I'm used to seeing in America. There is none of the big machinery here. Most of the time, the ground is tilled with the help of a caribou. And the planting and harvesting is all done by hand. This week I got to help with the planting. The way it works here is that in a small section of the field, thousands of seeds are planted. They all grow there for a couple weeks until they are about a foot long. But they are all way too close together to grow properly. So they are uprooted and bound in little bundles and distributed throughout the field. Then we go in and plant a handful of these seedlings at a time, spacing them properly and all that stuff.

The bukid that we worked in was the bukid of a less active member that we have been trying to get back to church. There was about twenty of us working on the field. Me and my companion only worked for about two hours, but everyone else worked for two days. It was hard work, and at first we weren't very good or fast at it. But we got better.  

It will take about 3 months before the corn seeds we planted to be ready for harvest. I won't be here to see it. But as I was planting these corn seeds in the ground I was thinking about the seeds of the gospel I have been planting in people. So many of the people we have been finding and teaching, I won't be here to see their baptism. I'm sad that I will miss it, but I am happy to do my part. There would be no harvest unless the seeds are planted first. 

I have decided this week to send lots of pictures. So besides the pictures of me and my companion working in the bukid, there are also pictures from our P-day activity last week when we went golfing with some missionaries from our zone. And of course the best part of any activity is usually taking pictures. So we have jump-shot pictures, and chilling pictures. 



 
But I don't want you to think that all we do is play and plant. No way. There are some pictures from the bukid I talked about last week. We went back and were able to take some pictures as we walked through. But I don't want you to think that we only walk through the bukid. I've included some pictures of us walking through the town also. But I don't want you to think we just walk around all the time. No way, spend most of our time inside the homes of the beautiful Philipino people, teaching and loving them. 
 

 


 
 
 
 
Love,

Sister Abish "The Farmer" Curtis

No comments:

Post a Comment